Friday, June 03, 2005

june 4

1596 words and it's time for a blog break before lunch. As always I feel a mild attack of stage fright at the sight of a blank blog- box on the screen and the need to please my audience of millions (or anyway of one- hi Liz). Today the day is devoted to Anna Wierzbicka who is advising me (indirectly) of important Polish cultural values which might help my marital life- so far I have discovered that sincerity is prized, that a mobile face is an asset, that the use of diminutives (koteczku, sloneczku, and others which constitute more or less my entire Polish lexicon) reflects a the Polish emphasis on showing affection, tenderness, etc. Maybe this is my own form of psychosis- looking through 35 years worth of linguistic publications searching for personal messages which will tell me how to import an eastern European Prospective Spouse and live happily ever after.

Later:

It's now almost 5 pm and I am returning home triumphant with 2000 words of reasonably well constructed earnest and opinionated rubbish in my little bag. I think that I deserve a beer.

No comments: