Tuesday, July 26, 2005

July 27

There is an endless list of numbers which I need to run my life and operate as a human being. Bank account numbers, tax file number, phone numbers, passwords for logging in to my email, the Homeland magic card number for calling foreign parts, Centrelink customer service number, my student number, Marcin's case reference number for his visa, the code for opening my mobile, the code for opening the door at Appen (which, by the way, changes every five minutes). It's a kind of modern-day Kabbalah where numbers open the way and unveil the secrets of ordinary domestic existence - without them, it's impossible to survive a single day of life as we know it. A person can find out anything they want about you, rob you blind, wake you at three in the morning, read your personal correspondence, just by possessing the right combination of digits. It seems that words are superfluous so (for the moment at least) I will cease and desist.

No comments: