Sunday, September 17, 2006

September 18

Yesterday, on a Sunday morning at the end (or beginning) of another long week, Marcin started to wax his legs. I was sitting on the floor urgently depilating myself in preparation for the summer and he was lying in bed reading the paper : he decided that he would like to see how it felt. A few quick rips left him looking like a moulting bird and convinced that there was no way but forward, and so the process continued throughout the day- one paragraph of the weekend paper, one piece of leg cleared of its old growth. Every time I tore off the wax he squealed, stamped his feet and beat his legs with the flat of his hand in an effort to ward off the pain,and both of us watched with interest as a new man emerged from the hairy chrysalis of the old.

This new smooth creature is slipperier, harder to get a grip on than the old rough one- less likely to purse his lips with disapproval at suggestions that prostitution and drug dealing are honourable professions, less likely to call mama religiously every Sunday, less likely to take offence at homosexual advances . This week there has been a stranger in my bed, more womanly and amorphous than the man who used to be there, and the collision of waxed legs in the night reminds me that all might not be as it seems.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it my dear! I wonder how Marcin will cope at his self-defence class? Will he be hiding his limbs like a hairy-legged woman at a Bondi yoga class scared that his secret is revealled and he is mistaken for a Paddingtion Drag Queen? Or does his ability to endure such pain prove enough in itself? I can imagine he is quite proud of himself and this little experiment, and full of observations. But so are you Rose!!! You create a real sense of you and him...So nice to read you again. I am slowly working through the backlog. Very inspiring, and highly readable, and engaging. I have extended flight and will leave Sydney around 8/9october or so. No husband to be or lover yet, but I did find a surfer on the beach and had to bring him home. Will ring you at end of week. lots of love Sophia Loren (minus the cardigan}