Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hard to imagine how love can survive a relocation without dying under the weight of strangeness and logistics. I go back at night to a stranger's house which has, by some miracle, been populated with my possessions, with a distant view of the city and an ancient Moreton Bay fig probing the foundations of the building with its curious old roots. What is home? Is it a lampshade, a chair, the fall of light or the view from a window; a habit, a person, a smell, a language? Currently I feel totally uprooted, and as if anything can happen in the hiatus between two zones of comfort- things can fall irreversibly apart in the chasm that separates Alexandria from Summer Hill. This general sense of disruption is compounded by the fact that we are fighting a rearguard action with Soula of Century 21 over being classified Dirty Tenants as well as (of course) over money, which only confirms my opinion that real estate agents are worms in suits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha, home for me is a feeling that relates to some of the things you mention, and more. Having been homeless for much of the last year, I recently flat-sat in Paris for a friend I had met in Asmara, who lived in Melbourne when I lived in Byron. Because he had a job with a multi national company, he was able to pay to ship his furniture and collection of objet trouves there and back, so consequently these last weeks just passed, I found myself in the 18th of Paris, atop a corner of an old building, in a room with floor to ceiling windows and mirrors, surrounded by items sourced from all over the world,- first met and experienced in the Antipodes, reading Life Of Pi. As Pi, traversed the narrow equatorial band, I sat in this light filled, foilage framed room, trees canopying the view beyond of the grand square of Jules Joffrin,and felt equally at sea, literally surrounded by space and blue, and nostalgic, and yet nostalogically unsure where I was. Never have I felt more at home, ironically.

Had wanted to send you a postcard saying the above, but didn't know whether you had moved yet, until now. Please send new address.

(This time last year we were in the Blue Mountains.)

Hope you are well and not too stressed with it all. Looking forward to the next episode.
Love
Sara