Thursday, May 19, 2005

may 19

Last night I dreamt that I found a treasure cave at the top of a snow-bound mountain in India- it was full of beautiful (or maybe not, says my conscious aesthetic sense, since they resembled nothing more than Christmas baubles) pendants and earrings carved meticulously from greenish stone. And for the first time in a long time I dreamed a smell, the odor of these treasures: a calciferous smell like limestone, part metal, part salt.

On the pragmatic front, nobody is offering me either money or a job, which doesn't bother me unduly as I have no free time either to work or to spend. Thinking about the future, I have the sensation of conducting an exploration in reverse, standing on the frontiers of the known world (the 9 to five domesticated lands of strangeness) and feeling like Columbus about to fall off the edge of the planet.

Last night I watched Closer with Liz and felt my marital warning bells going off in all directions-four unlikeable characters (2 American, 2 British, if it matters) with too much time and not enough imagination, torturing each other for entertainment and only capable of loving what they don't have. I went straight home and called Marcinski- I wanted to ask, will we live happily ever after? but instead I just said goodnight and went to bed.

No comments: