Wednesday, May 25, 2005

may 26

Last night I went for a drink which turned into about 10 with Liz at the Sandringham, where we were accosted by two kiwis who work degging siwage detches at the earport (we hive a high security pass and iverytheng): mocking their accents was fun for about 5 minutes and then they became tiresome. I am busy developing a theory re: men in bars, which expresses the mathematical certainty that the less interesting they are, and the less you want to talk to them, the smaller the probability that they will ever go away. I want it to be simple and elegant but at the same time to account for fluctuating factors such as blood alcohol level, IQ and whether or not there is a state of origin match on television. Unfortunately it can't be expected to predict the likelihood of vomiting out the window later in the evening which is what Liz did when we got home.

I met Veronika and her son yesterday (I asked, what will you be wearing? and she said, a baby) and we went to eat cake in a cafe in Haymarket- relieved to find that she hasn't turned into Boring New Mother version 105, though we were distracted by his need to eat every ten minutes. Then I had coffee with Sally who started to tell me about the messages she receives from god and I spent the rest of the afternoon pondering why I don't consider her to be mentally ill and diagnosing Baby Jesus and Mohammad with schizophrenia.

Having a new cycle of marital doubts, this time brought on by an attempt to tell Marcinski a knock knock joke- culture and distance conspired against us and in the end I had to explain to him what a knock knock joke was and why this one was especially funny. It goes like this:
a: knock knock
b:who's there?
a: the interrupting cow
b: the interr-
a: MOOOOOOO
Unfortunately there wasa delay on messenger and the interrupting cow didn't actually interrupt, and anyway they don't have knock knock jokes in Poland. I decided not to divorce on thesde grounds after I tried it on two of my cultural contemporaries and got the following responses:
1
a;knock knock
b: who's there?
a: the interrupting cow
b: hahaha that's really funny

2
a: knock knock
b: who's there?
a: the interrupting cow
b: I don't get it.

No comments: